Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Comfort Food



On a grey day like this it is hard to motivate myself to do anything. Not to mention the fact that I am either a crazy hypochondriac or I have a double ear infection and the flu. All I wanted today was something warm and comforting to eat. One of my New Years resolutions was to take fewer cooking shortcuts. In Vancouver it is very tempting to just get take-out, but I am trying to cut back. So what is a feverish and dizzy girl to do? Chicken pot pie! I adapted a fairly simple recipe and thought I ought to share it with the internet as a whole before I crawl back into bed and watch another Disney movie.

Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients
.75 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup medium dice carrots
1/2 cup medium dice celery
1 clove garlic minced
1 cup frozen green peas
3/4 cup cubed Yukon gold potatoes
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken stock
2/3 cup milk
Recipe for 2 (9”) unbaked pie crusts

Method
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
  • In a large pan cook chicken in vegetable oil for five minutes. Drain and set aside.
  • In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Add celery, carrots, and garlic and cook for five minutes. Add peas and potatoes.
  • Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
  • Place the chicken in bottom piecrust. Pour vegetables and liquid mixture over chicken; do not overfill. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kendra - Carol here in Santa Fe (Elizabeth's Mom) - love your new blog - you are a good writer and, I am sure, a great chef. Good luck. Anyway, I am writing here because your mom told E that I cannot be found on facebook - that is correct - I quit it about a year ago. I would love to hear from her . If you can give me her email I will write to her. Sorry to write a private message in a public place.

    Good to hear all your family news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,
    I passed the message on to my mom, but just in case she forgets to email you, her email address is moonmtn(at)gmail(dot)com. It is great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take two of these pies to go, please

    ReplyDelete