Friday, January 20, 2012

Popping Back in Time


In my family we take popcorn to a new level. Microwave popcorn is considered a sin and movie popcorn always needs vast improvements. Some of my best memories involve homemade popcorn and I still count it as one of my favorite foods. Growing up, my Dad’s two cooking specialties were popcorn and waffles. Since then he has branched out in an amazing way, but to me he will always be the chef of Friday night movies and Sunday brunch. I started out as my Dad’s assistant at a very young age and by the time I was ten, he thought I was ready to learn the family’s secret recipe.  Even now I have friends who remember how amazing this popcorn was and I am here to share it with the world.

Dad’s 100% Best Popcorn*

Ingredients:
½ cup canola oil (optionally can be half chili oil)
2 cups popcorn
¼ cup melted butter
soy sauce
garlic powder/cajun seasoning
grated Parmesan cheese

Equipment:
12-quart stockpot (thick bottom)
large paper grocery bag

·      Add canola oil to stockpot with five popcorn kernels; cook on high heat
·      When five kernels have popped, add remaining amount to pot
·      Move continuously, shaking pot occasionally, until there is more than a two second interval between pops
·      Pour popcorn into paper grocery bag
·      Drizzle one third of the butter over popcorn. Drizzle soy sauce. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. Shake bag vigorously.
·      Repeat three times or until desired taste and texture is achieved

 *Keep in mind that 50% of the recipe is based on personal taste and is worth experimenting with.
 

1 comment: