Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pan Fried Salmon with Blood Orange Beurre Nantais


One of my joys during the week is coming up with menus and doing grocery shopping. I love planning new recipes, using special ingredients, and seasonal products. Earlier this week I found blood oranges for $1.19/lb at my neighborhood grocery store. I was so excited that I immediately bought some to go into my beurre nantais. The end result was delicious salmon with a buttery sauce that was to die for!



Pan Fried Salmon
Ingredients:
4-6 oz salmon
2 T canola oil
salt
pepper

·      Season both sides of salmon with salt and pepper
·      Heat canola oil in medium pan over high heat
·      Add salmon skin-side down and reduce heat to medium
·      Cook for three minutes before flipping. Cook second side two minutes.
·      Serve with blood orange beurre nantais

Blood Orange Beurre Nantais
Ingredients
1 shallot, chopped
2-3 blood oranges, juiced
¼ cup white wine
¼ cup heavy cream
100 g cold butter, cubed (1/4 lb)
salt
pepper

·      Sauté shallots in small amount of butter over medium heat until lightly browned
·      Deglaze with blood orange juice and white wine, reduce to au sec (almost dry)
·      Whisk in cream and allow to cook for three minutes
·      Whisk in butter, one cube at a time
·      Season with salt and pepper and keep warm; serve with salmon


Bon Appetit! 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing and yet very simple. I'm going to cook that next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this almost instantly - If I cannot get blood oranges here in SF I will use valencias - navel's would be too sweet, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also use a combination of orange, lemon, and lime juice if you are worried about it being too sweet. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. This sauce was amazingly simple to make. It came out perfectly and went very well with the salmon. Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so good. I am licking the sauce pan, even as I write this. Brilliant use of blood oranges.

    ReplyDelete