Monday, February 13, 2012

Food Groups


In Los Alamos, NM there is a huge sense of community. It is nearly impossible to go grocery shopping without seeing a friend or coworker. Neighborhood dinners and parties happened often, whether it was Betty’s holiday party or Mary’s Halloween margarita bash. I am still trying to find a community like that in Vancouver, but whenever I visit my parents on Salt Spring Island, I feel right at home. 


This past weekend, a wonderful collection of foodie neighbors got together to celebrate my dad’s birthday. My mom provided the traditional French cassoulet, which she had labored over for three days, one neighbor brought a delectable salad with candied pecans and orange slices, a second treated us to tasty hors d’oeuvres, a third brought fresh home-baked bread that completed the meal. All things considered, it was a hugely successful meal where the conversation was as good as the food. It made me realize what I miss from Los Alamos. Perhaps I should put an ad in the paper along the lines of “Aspiring chef seeks group of friends to enjoy good food and wine. Big Mac lovers need not apply.” In the meantime, I will continue to visit my family and enjoy all the community that Salt Spring has to offer.

1 comment: