Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Yeasty Goodness


One of the troublesome things about the Pacific Northwest is the crazy amount of rain. Luckily this winter has been fairly dry and the past week has been absolutely gorgeous and sun-filled. It has been warm and dry and I have been spending as much time as possible outside in the sun. Unfortunately this means that my apartment is less than clean, my dishes are stacking up, and I haven’t baked in a while. All I needed was one rainy day to accomplish all my indoor goals.


There is nothing homier than the smell of freshly baked bread. In my family the true bread baker is my dad, and he is always trying new recipes like blue cheese walnut bread and six-seed loafs. I tend to stay with more traditional recipes, but I always love to bake with my dad. Today is his birthday and I thought that I might brighten the weather with a little bread baking. People always think I am odd when I say that I love to knead. There is nothing more therapeutic than kneading the dough and punching it down. The feeling of satisfaction that comes from seeing the finished product is better than any exercise induced endorphin rush. The warm and yeasty smell that comes when you cut open a fresh loaf of bread is the best kind of air freshener and should be bottled and sold as perfume. The frustrations and disappointments of the past few weeks have completely melted away and I can spend my evening relaxing. 




Happy birthday dad!

2 comments: