Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Magic at the Night Market


BBQ at night

Being an introvert in Vancouver can be a bit difficult given the huge variety of things to do. On any given weekend there are parades, races, parties, festivals, and more. One of my favorite summer activities is the summer night market in Richmond. Imagine going from Canada to China and back one evening. There are so many wonderful things to see and do that everything becomes magical. With over 200 vendors and 70 food stalls, there is an amazing experience for everyone. Need socks? How about some crazy Korean ones at 5 pairs for $10? Jewelry? Sometimes tough to find the classy amongst the tacky, but I managed. What about bedding? Or iphone covers? Have a burning desire for everything Hello Kitty? And this only covers a small portion of the non-food vendors!

Why yes, my socks do say "I am a sheep and a strawberry"

But let’s talk about the food for a second. Imagine traveling across Asia for months trying to sample delicacies from every region. Now imagine condensing those months into a few nights in Richmond. I wish I could say that I have tried every stand, but the thought makes my stomach hurt. Plus there are way too many squid stands. I can assertively say that the Xin Jiang Style BBQ is to-die for! New coconuts are always delicious as well, although at $5/each, I would rather get something else next time. I would recommend trying a potato hurricane as well as the bbq. Sadly, I was absorbed in eating the hurricane and failed to take a photo, but I promise to rectify this next time.

Abalone shell jewelery

In the end, all I can say is that the night market really does deserve the highest praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment