Thursday, May 31, 2012

Summer Salsas



With my home state currently in flames and my adopted province being drizzled in rain, I haven’t had many opportunities for summer enjoyment this week. Luckily, I am always just one grocery trip away from New Mexican summer fun in the kitchen.  My food addictions are vast and delicious, but there is nothing better than a fresh batch of guacamole and pico de gallo. Since moving to Vancouver most of my salsas have been fairly mild, but Urban Fare finally came through with some amazingly spicy jalapenos! I learned this pico de gallo recipe from the wonderful Chef Michelle at Santa Fe Community College. It is an adaptable ratio that can be used for large groups as well as small gatherings.


Pico de Gallo
2 tomatoes
1 jalapeno
¼ bunch cilantro
¼ onion
1 lime (juiced)
salt
pepper


  • Mince jalapenos and chop tomatoes, cilantro, and onion to desired size. 
  • Add the lime juice, salt and pepper.


Guacamole
3 avocados
3 large spoonfuls of pico de gallo (above)
½ tsp cumin
salt
pepper


  • Mash the avocados using a fork. 
  • Combine with pico de gallo and cumin. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.

4 comments:

  1. I also scored some amazingly hot jalapenos at the local Country Grocer. I expected them to be like Canadian cukes but they were like DY-NO-MITE!!! Holeeey Smokes. Now is the time to buy and preserve these babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine were so spicy that I had to add an extra tomato to my salsa. Even then it was almost overwhelming! Urban Fare also has anaheims now so I might make chile rellenos next week.

      Delete
  2. Yum, yum, yum!!! At least the fire is not here in LA, thank goodness!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the smoke isn't your way either! If it gets too bad, you are always welcome to come visit!

      Delete