Saturday, March 17, 2012

Improvisational Traditions

 
Every family has certain things that they cook and enjoy for holidays, birthdays, and specific days of the week. My family always had Friday popcorn nights, Christmas green chile stew, and annual mac and cheese. When I first started high school, my Dad and I would spend the week at a house close to the school while my mom worked on the farm an hour away. It was a new experience for all of us and it forced my Dad to expand his culinary horizons and Cook for the Teenager. One of my favorite weekly Dad meals was canned corned beef hash with an egg and ketchup. Best. Dinner. Ever. Sadly, I am now jaded enough to pay attention to the nutritional value on the cans. In other words, eating corned beef hash weekly is no longer on option. But on this fine day, I am going to embrace my wacky Irish family traditions and improvise corned beef and cabbage!

Unfortunately I almost forgot it was St. Patrick’s Day and by the time I remembered, all the stores were out of uncooked corned beef. But I did not let that stop me.  One quick stop at a deli and I have ¾ lb of sliced corned beef. Step two was making the spice mix to cook the cabbage, corn, and potatoes. Hopefully bay leaves, peppercorns, mustard seed, whole cloves, garlic, and coriander seed will do the trick.  Step three: warming the corned beef without overcooking it. I believe that thirty seconds in with the potatoes and cabbage should do the trick.

It might not taste exactly like St. Patrick’s Day dinner with the family, but my corned beef and cabbage turned out nicely. Sometimes traditions change. People move, families spread apart, and new life experiences take hold. Today I may not be having a "normal" holiday meal, but I am wearing green, eating my corned beef and drinking a Guinness. Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment