Saturday, June 9, 2012

Strawberry Contests and Produce of the Week



Another beautiful Saturday with sunshine, bacon, and fresh veggies. Below are the produce finds for the week and a strawberry showdown between two vendors.


Forstbauer Farm. Romaine lettuce. Sadly no squash blossoms this week, but I have already used the romaine in a caesar salad and believe that it was 100% better than store bought!

Klippers Organics. Arugula, garlic scapes, and the first batch of test strawberries. I plan to make a pine nut and arugula pasta later this week and I will be using the garlic scapes to make a pesto for a cold pasta salad. In other words, there will be much carbing this week.

Paul's Produce. Mixed varietal bell peppers. A lovely bag of multi-colored bell peppers for only $4? Perfect. These peppers will go in a curry this week as well as possible fajitas and gumbo. The possibilities are endless.

Langley Organic Growers. Radishes, bok choy. I found these amazing multi-colored radishes and couldn't resist them, despite having radishes in the fridge already. These are meant for munching. The bok choy will go in a curry with the bell peppers.


And then there is the strawberry showdown. I bought the first pint of strawberries from Klippers Organics. Since I enjoyed them so much last week I decided that it would be foolish to resist. Two stands further in the market, there was another strawberry vendor and I purchased a pint to taste-test. Unfortunately I cannot read my own handwriting and therefore have no idea who these came from, so we shall call them Vendor X. In the end it is a simple truth that size isn't everything. Granted the smaller strawberries from Klippers had tons of seeds, but they were tiny, delicious, and practically burst in my mouth. My second pint from Vendor X was much more similar to traditional grocery store strawberries. They were fairly juicy, but simply couldn't compete. 

1 comment:

  1. Let us know if there is a taste difference in the different colored radishes. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete