Saturday, June 30, 2012

Produce of the Week and Thoughts About Pie





As I sat in my apartment eating split pea soup and drinking tea I tried to come up with a supplementary blog topic for today’s post. Of course I could complain about the miserable weather, but I have already done that. I could go on some more about the pure delicious joy of Klipper’s strawberries, but I have already done that. I could even talk about the wonderful community feeling that comes with living in the West End, but I am pretty sure I have covered that topic as well. And so, in light of my terrible writer’s block, I have decided to describe sour cherry pie as a parallel to this blog. 


Now anyone with common sense knows that sour cherry pie is truly amazing (just like my blog, of course), but requires more than a little effort. First there is the task of finding sour cherries. Now this is strongly influenced by local growers and can be a huge pain. Up next is pitting which can take forever, cause hand-cramps and inevitably leads to frustration. After making flaky dough, mixing the filling, and sticking the pastry in the oven there is a bit of an energy crash, but smelling the completed sour cherry pie makes the whole thing worth it. In the end, I truly love writing and taking photographs for this blog. I am proud of my accomplishments and despite occasional frustration, I will never stop.






Snowy Mountain Organics. Sour cherries. Clearly these will be used in pie and there will be photos posted on Monday or Tuesday.


Forstbauer Farm. Squash blossoms. It is becoming a post-market tradition for me to make my squash blossoms stuffed with cheese and basil. Perhaps I should try something different, but why mess with perfection?


Klippers Organics. Sugar snap peas and strawberries. First peas of the season! Not quite sure what my plan is, but I am sure it will be delicious. Sadly, I was told that these are the last strawberries of the season so I was sure to buy two pints. For those of you who were curious about the varieties, I was told that they were a combination of sapphire and sable strawberries.


Sandhu Produce Growers Ltd. Potatoes. These will be used for my meals-to-go business and any leftover potatoes will go into either Swedish potatoes or stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment