Thursday, July 5, 2012

Indian Night of Delight



One thing I love about the cultural diversity of Vancouver is the ease of having theme nights. Recently my dear friend, Naomi, and I decided that we should plan a series of theme foodie outings for the summer. Our first adventure was the Indian Night of Delight (Canada Day Patriotism, Buckingham Palace Tea Party and Guacamole Gangsters coming soon). We started the evening off right with a high-energy bollywood dance class at my favorite studio, Harbor Dance Centre. The music was hopping, the instructor was great, and the smiles infectious.



After a quick shower, Naomi and I met at a great Indian restaurant in downtown, Salam Bombay. I must confess to being rather predictable when I go to Indian restaurants. I adore butter chicken and garlic naan and tend to try them at every new restaurant I visit. True to culinary school fashion, Naomi went through the menu in great depth before choosing on the chicken biryani. I first have to say that the naan here was practically a work of art! I almost felt guilty while eating it. My butter chicken was absolutely delicious and despite having the appearance of a smaller portion, was more than enough to fill me up. Naomi’s biryani was the most flavorful rice I have ever tasted. It was a filled with chicken and spices and was completely excellent. All together we each spent about $20 for a great Indian feast.



After our delicious meal, we headed back to my apartment to end our Indian night with a fun bollywood film, Bride and Prejudice. Altogether, it was a wonderful night full of food and fun that will be repeated with a new theme in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment