Saturday, July 7, 2012

Produce of the Week



Finally the sun has come back to the fine city of Vancouver, making it a paradise once more! Naturally this meant that the market was flooded with people. Despite having a nearly full fridge, I braved the crowds for a small market haul and my bimonthly bacon wrap. This time at Pig on the Street, I tried the Southern Piggy, which consists of bacon, BBQ sauce, grilled peppers, corn, cheddar, and chipotle mayo. As always it was completely delicious and well worth the long line. While the Southern Piggy was just as good as the PigLT, I still have to rank the Porker as the best sandwich offered by Pig on the Street.

Paul’s Produce. Strawberries. Since Klippers is done with the strawberry season, I decided to try somewhere new. I have purchased from Paul’s Produce in the past without being disappointed, but these strawberries were a total letdown. I hate to seem overly harsh, but unless they drastically (and miraculously) improve in taste between tonight and tomorrow morning, I will likely be throwing them out.

Klippers. Romaine lettuce, purple kale. The romaine will be used in a Caesar salad later this week, or may be used in Vietnamese lettuce wraps if I choose to get wild. The kale will be lightly sautéed with garlic and lemon tomorrow night.

Forstbauer Farm. Golden beets. I hadn’t planned on buying beets today, but they just looked so good! My plans for those beauties are still up in the air.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you could marinade the strawberries in a vinegarette and then put them in a morning salad?

    ReplyDelete