Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Tea-licious Summer Picnic




Yesterday was a spectacularly sunny day. The sky was blue, the temperature was high, and the market was hopping. Since I had an overload of vegetables taunting me from my refrigerator, my friend Naomi and I decided to make this Saturday a summer teatime picnic. We searched the market for fresh berries and a delicious looking lavender earl grey scone, made iced tea, boiled water for hot tea, and hauled everything out to the park in a collection of baskets. And because we refuse to do anything half-assed, we also dressed up! In other words, this is not my usual market day review.

I started out the day by brewing a fresh batch of Bengal Spice iced tea before Naomi arrived and we went skipping off to the market. After picking up raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries from the Sandhu Produce Growers, Naomi and I waited in line at PureBread and managed to snag the last delectable lavender earl grey scone (what better for a tea party?).  Upon finding the perfect park location (dappled sunshine, green grass, flower gardens) and ooohing and ahhhing over Naomi’s new picnic basket, we settled down for some serious eats.



The raspberries were perfect. I am generally not a huge fan of raspberries as I find that there is a fine line between ripe and rotten, but these were excellent! The blueberries were less inspiring, but since it is the first week of the season, I will cut the farmers some slack. The same was true for the blackberries. With any luck they will be much better in the coming weeks. I have only one word to describe the scone; scrumptious. I honestly cannot think of eating a better scone. The flavors were perfectly mixed and the light lemon glaze just added to the flavor. Excellent both on its own and when dipped in the hot white tea we enjoyed.

In the end it was a perfect summer’s day picnic. With any luck, there will be many more to enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment